Outbreak investigation of lumpy skin disease in dairy farms at Barishal, Bangladesh

Md. Ibrahim Khalil, Mohammad Ferdous Rahman Sarker, F. M. Yasir Hasib, Sharmin Chowdhury


Lumpy skin disease is explained as a significant cattle disease affecting cattle of many parts of the world. An outbreak was experienced in different parts of Bangladesh including Barishal for the first time in the last quarter of 2019. This investigation was carried out to know the outbreak scenario of the disease in southern part of Bangladesh. A total of 726 cattle were included in this study covering 50 dairy farms of Barishal region from September 2019 to December 2019. Morbidity rate was found 21% (CI: 18-24%) and mortality was 1% (CI: 1-2%) in the outbreak area. Young animals (24%) and pregnant animals (70%) were significantly more susceptible compared to aged animals (17%) and non-pregnant animals (15%), respectively. Moreover, male and crossbred cattle were slightly more prone to the infection in comparison to their counterparts. About 45% of the affected animals showed nodular and remaining 55% had edematous lesions. Almost 90% of the affected animals were treated with NSAID followed by antibiotics, antihistaminic, steroid drugs and antiviral drugs where only 20% of the affected animals were treated by authorized veterinary personnel. This was the first epidemiological investigation in the mentioned outbreak area which may serve as a baseline for LSD research in the location needed for developing effective control strategy.


Cattle; lumpy skin disease; morbidity; Barishal; Bangladesh

Full Text:


DOI: https://doi.org/10.24925/turjaf.v9i1.205-209.3827

 Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License

ISSN: 2148-127X

Turkish JAF Sci.Tech.

Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology (TURJAF) is indexed by the following national and international scientific indexing services:





















Our Journals

Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology

International Journal of Poultry - Ornamental Birds Science and Technology

Turkish Research Journal of Academic Social Science

Turkish Research Journal of Academic Technical Science

Turkish Research Journal of Academic Health and Medical Sciences

Our congresses

International Anatolian Agriculture, Food, Environment and Biology Congress (TARGID)

International Congress of the Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology (TURJAF)

Our Youtube Channel


Our Books

Our Scientific Books

About Us

The Turkish Science and Technology Publishing (TURSTEP) is an online and open-access platform to publish recent research and articles of scholars worldwide. Founded in 2013 and based in Turkey, the TURSTEP as a platform for academics, educators, scholars, and students from Turkey and around the world, to connect with one another. The TURSTEP disseminates research that is proven or predicted to be of significant influence for the general public.


Contact Us

Please send all inquiries to the email:


Business Adress

Eğriköprü mh. Pilot Kaya İstektepe Cad. 9/1 BLOK Daire 7, 58050 Merkaz/Sivas, Turkey